We believe the key to success in children’s orthodontic treatment is communication and motivation. We spend time discussing treatment options with both you and your child to ensure the most efficient and optimum results.
On the recommendation of your dentist, children can be seen for an initial assessment from about nine years old or earlier . There is no age limit to undergoing a course of orthodontic treatment, although some problems may benefit from early treatment. Dental literature has reported that more than half of all 12 year old children would benefit from orthodontic treatment.
For parents, it is not always easy to know if your child may need orthodontic treatment. The following list shows a few things to look for that may mean your child needs to see an orthodontist:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A hard time chewing or biting food
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or do not come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
Our practice offers a variety of braces, types, colours and styles to choose from, making life with braces much easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish than in the past. Fixed braces are usually fitted once all the adult teeth have come through to achieve fully aligned teeth and a perfect smile. The most popular braces for children are metal braces with coloured bands, which have made them a bit of a fashion accessory for teens and younger children. For the more image conscious teenager, discrete cosmetic braces are also available.
- Invisalign Clear braces
- Clarity Ceramic braces
- Traditional metal braces
- Removable appliances
Children’s Orthodontic NHS Treatment
- Free NHS treatment is only available for children under 18 years old with more severe orthodontic problems as graded by the national Index of Orthodontic Treatment Need (IOTN).